- Read it as one really long webpage
- E-book versions:
- Download a complete pdf version
- (No diagrams included; you can download them separately below.)
- Reference diagrams of the protagonist submarines in the novel: Submarine diagrams
- Extremely helpful for orientation. Keep the diagrams handy!
- Is there a paper version?
- There will be very soon! Contact me if you are interested in purchasing a copy. I’ll send details on how to purchase as soon as it becomes available.
- Not ready to commit to a whole book yet? Here’s a short story I’m working on that is set in the same universe, still with plenty of submarine action:
Above you can read a complete (118k+ words, 400+ pages) novel for free. It’s about submarines. Not nuclear submarines, or modern submarines, or any kind of submarine that actually existed. It is about cargo submarines. In a mid-century Earth where, due to the economic circumstances of the world having skewed off slightly from the path followed in real life, submarines ended up being recruited to do the trucking of cargo around the world. So: not exactly like other submarine stories you may have encountered. (Also, far more women are involved than the typical submarine story.)
What’s it like?
Fundamentally, it’s a cross between a 1960s submarine movie and a 1970s trucker movie. It’s kind of a slurry of Das Boot, Road Warrior, Deadliest Catch, and Smokey and the Bandit. Maybe with some China Syndrome and Jaws thrown in. (Though the latter’s similarity is in tone only — there’s no sharks in the book. Sorry.) It is undoubtedly speculative fiction — but not science fiction. What more specific genre beyond that is maybe a little fuzzy. It is also an action-packed page-turner! It should be entertaining to read. If you find this isn’t the case, you should probably let me know.
More detailed FAQ on its way!
“Source code” for the novel
- (it’s just markdown): source code
- Compile your own e-reader (epub) or pdf file to read!
- Get the most up-to-date version of the novel.
- Check out this github repo for licensing information and development details.